Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionRock on. From Elvis to Nirvana: the most important record covers in rock history. Album art is indelibly linked to our collective musical memories; when you think of your favorite albums, you picture the covers. Many photographers, illustrators, and art directors have become celebrities from their album artworks-the best examples of which will go down in history as permanent fixtures in popular culture. Paying tribute to this art form, Rock Covers brings you a compilation that includes 600 remarkable covers, from legendary to rare record releases. Artists as varied as Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, The Cure, Iron Maiden, and Sonic Youth are all gathered together here in celebration of the covers that defined their albums. Each cover is accompanied by a fact sheet listing the art director, photographer or illustrator, year, label, and more. Two hundred seminal records that marked turning points for a band, an artist, or the music genre, are highlighted with short descriptions. Five professionals who made and shaped the history of rock share insider information in featured interviews while 10 leading rock collectors seal the deal with top-10 favorite records.
- Author BiographyJon Kirby is a record collector and music writer based in Chicago, Illinois. A graduate of the University of North Carolina's Journalism School, he served as an editor for Brooklyn-based music magazine Wax Poetics, and has contributed in-depth articles for the Oxford American and the Fader. He is currently an A&R at Chicago's famed archival label the Numero Group, where he researches and compiles albums illuminating lesser-known talents from music history's deepest recesses. His last two years have been spent conceiving Purple Snow: Forecasting the Minneapolis Sound, which details the rise of funk-rock progenitor Prince, surveying his hometown's music scene at the beginning of his journey to world fame. Robbie Busch aka McBoing Boing is an internationally recognized record collector and DJ. Robbie has worn many artistic hats over the years. He has worked as a writer and photographer for national magazines including: Wax Poetics, Big Brother & XXL. He has been as a consultant and producer to numerous record labels including: Fania Records, Cultures of Soul & BBE. He has been a comic book artist/writer for: DC, Marvel and Dark Horse Comics; as well as a storyboard artist for Nickelodeon, MTV & Cartoon Network. In his spare time he is currently finishing work on his first feature length documentary, Thank You For Not Dancing. He lives in New York City with his wife and son. Julius Wiedemann was born in Brazil, studied graphic design and marketing, and was an art editor for digital and design magazines in Tokyo. His many TASCHEN digital and media titles include Illustration Now!, Advertising Now, Logo Design, and Brand Identity Now!
- Author(s)Jon Kirby,Julius Wiedemann,Robbie Busch
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- LanguageEnglish, French, German
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Weight4155 g
- Width293 mm
- Height293 mm
- Spine51 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.