Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionFar from being the immutable Rock of Ages He is often assumed to be, the God of Christian history and tradition has had many different and often conflicting faces. 'Rock of Ages?' opens with the emergence of the Biblical God from the pantheon of deities in bronze age Canaan, and culminates in the radical images of God that were appearing at the end of the twentieth-century, providing a historical overview of the different and sometimes conflicting ways in which He has been understood. By examining the ideas of key writers down the ages, whose ecclesiastical or intellectual power has allowed their insights to become embedded in the mainstream traditions of the Christian churches, Butler seeks to answer one central question: Why is it that people across the ages have claimed to have seen so many different and sometimes contradictory faces of the Christian God? Or more specifically: If there is one true God, and if He is kwn to those who believe in him through the revelation of Himself in history, why hasn't a consistent and unified understanding of Him emerged in the witness and testimony of those who claim to have seen his face?In the best of scholarly traditions, Butler presents his work as a clear account of his own quest for an answer; but although suggesting possibilities, he leaves others to come to their own judgements using the evidence available. Written in a clear and attractive style, this is a book for anyone without any prior kwledge of history, theology or philosophy, be they atheists, Christians looking to explore their faith, students or simply anyone interested in the history of religion.
- Author BiographyJohn Butler is now retired, having worked as an academic at the Universities of Nottingham, Manchester, and Kent. He has the title of Emeritus Professor of Health Services Studies at the University of Kent. He is a life Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and a guide at Canterbury Cathedral.
- Author(s)John Butler
- PublisherJames Clarke & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication27/06/2013
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLutterworth Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.