All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGibraltar is a British territory on the south end of the Iberian Peninsula at the Mediterranean entrance. It's total area is 2.6 square miles and it has a rthern border with Andalusia, Spain. The Rock of Gibraltar is its major landmark. At its foot is a densely populated city of almost 30,000 people. An Anglo-Dutch force captured Gibraltar from Spain in 1704 during the War of the Spanish Succession. The territory was ceded to Britain in perpetuity under the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht. It became a base for the Royal Navy. Now its ecomy is based n tourism, finance and shipping. The sovereignty of Gibraltar is at issue in Anglo-Spanish relations, because Spain assets a claim to the territory. However, the people of Gibralter have rejected proposals for Spanish sovereignty, once in a 1967 referendum, and again in 2002. Under its 2006 constitution, Gibraltar governs all of its own affairs. However, powers of defense and foreign relations remain the responsibility of the UK Government. To understand Gibralter, one needs to talk to its people and see everything it has to offer. Look for Penelope Dyan music videos that go with this book, and for more from Bellissima Publishing, LLC, as you learn all you learn all you can about this place that gave rise to the expression: . . . as strong as the rock of Gibralter. The companion book to this book is The Comeback Kids, Book 9, The Barbary Macaques of Gibraltar.
- Author(s)Penelope Dyan
- PublisherBellissima Publishing
- Date of Publication10/05/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBellissima Publishing
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight82 g
- Width216 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Photographer(s)John D Weigand
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.