All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis new, comprehensive and well-illustrated account of the Rockingham Pottery, one of England's major nineteenth century porcelain manufactories, traces its unusual development and diverse wares from 1745, when it was founded, to its closure almost a century later. Archaelogical evidence has been used to identify eighteenth century slip-decorated pottery, fine unmarked creamware, pearlware and the early products of the following century. Characteristic shapes and types of decoration are illustrated, including the complete range of transfer-printed designs on pottery. In porcelain, for which the Rockingham Works is justly rewned, its tea and dessert services, including those made for royalty and bility, are described and illustrated, as are figures and the many ornamental items. All kwn factory marks are shown and guidance is given to help collectors avoid spurious wares. Many of the pieces illustrated are in private collections. They vary from items of extraordinary beauty and richness to more everyday wares. This book, with its many new findings and previously unpublished documentary material, provides an indispensable guide to this Pottery's remarkably diverse products.
- Author BiographyAlwyn and Angela Cox have researched the Rockingham pottery for more than thirty-five years and have produced numerous publications on its history and wares. Between them their academic backgrounds encompass an unusual blend of scientific research in glass and ceramics, Yorkshire local history, museum work, archaeology and the study of English ceramics. Both are longstanding members of the English Ceramic Circle, founder members of the Northern Ceramic Society and former Editors of the Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society.
- Author(s)Alwyn Cox,Angela Cox
- PublisherACC Art Books
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationWoodbridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintACC Art Books
- Content Note144 colour and 437 b/w illustrations
- Weight1996 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine40 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.