Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresented in very clear and accessible language, Roman Art offers new and fascinating insights into the evolution of the forms and meanings of Roman art. Traditional studies of Roman art have sought to identify an indigeus style distinct from Greek art and in the process have neglected the large body of Roman work that creatively recycled Greek artworks. In this fresh assessment the author offers instead a cultural history of the functions of the visual arts, the messages that these images carried, and the values that they affirmed in late Republican Rome and the Empire. The analysis begins at the point at which the characteristic features of Roman art started to emerge, when the Romans were exposed to Hellenistic culture through their conquest of Greek lands in the third century BCE. As a result, the values and social and political structure of Roman society changed, as did the functions and characters of the images it generated.
- Author BiographyPaul Zanker is Professor of the History of Ancient Art at the Scuole Normale Superiore in Pisa.
- Author(s)Paul Zanker
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJ. Paul Getty Museum
- Content Note60 full-colour & 60 b&w illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width175 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.15Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.