All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the Roman army invaded Wales in AD 74, they had to build a continuous chain of fortresses along the length and breadth of the country because of the fierce opposition of the tribal population, the Celts. The clash of cultures that resulted gave birth to Wales as we kw it today, as the Romans established prosperous towns and introduced their way of life, landscaping, architecture and education to the locals. Wales was an important part of the Roman Empire, and grew to flourish as one of its wealthy provinces. From Carmarthen to Aberystwyth, Caerleon to Caerwent, many places in Wales today contain links and fascinating clues to this ancient civilisation. Cooking utensils, jewellery and Roman baths have been uncovered at these sites, giving us a glimpse back into the exciting era of the Roman occupation, and how these people lived, worked and played. Sarah Symons guides us through the sites of Roman Wales and discovers how our Roman ancestors would have lived in each location. This guide will put you on the path to a true Roman experience.
- Author BiographySarah Symons was born in Ystradgynlais in the Swansea Valley, but grew up in Shrewsbury where she embarked on a secretarial career. After her family moved South she had a varied career in London, working with the BBC, an American Oil Company and GEC. She returned to Ystradgynlais for her retirement and took a keen interest in the Roman era. Her previous books include Fortresses and Treasures of Roman Wales. She now lives in Swansea.
- Author(s)Sarah Symons
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/01/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note52
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.