All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
About this product
- DescriptionReaching its peak in the 11th and 12th centuries, the Romanesque movement was marked by a peculiar, vivid, and often monumental expressiveness in architecture and fine arts. The main centres were located in Italy, France, the German-language countries, Spain, and England, though the voices of Scandinavia and Eastern Europe expressed themselves distinctly in the genre, which patterned itself on antique and Byzantine art. Despite untold losses, countless Romanesque masterpieces remain preserved today. Highlights include: Frescoes in Gallia near Cantu, Sant'Angelo in Formis, Saint Chef, Saint-Savin-sur Gartempe, Lambach, S. Pietro al Monte near Civate, S. Clemente in Rome, from S. Maria de Tahull, Berze-la-Ville, Tavant, Panteon de los Reyes in Leon, Castel Appia, from Sigena; the golden Altar-Piece from Lisbjerg; the Bayeux Tapestry; stained glasses in the Cathedral of Augsburg and Le Mans, mosaics in S. Clemete, Rome, and in S. Marco, Venice; coloured panels und crosses from La Seo de Urgel, Sarzana and the panted ceiling in St. Michael, Hildesheim; sculptures in Souillac, Autun, Santiago de Compostela; and examples of metalwork, of manuscripts and enamels. Each book in TASCHEN's Basic Genre series features: a detailed introduction with approximately 35 photographs, plus a timeline of the most important events (political, cultural, scientific, etc.) that took place during the time period, and a selection of the most important works of the epoch; each is presented on a 2-page spread with a full-page image and, on the facing page, a description/interpretation of the work and brief biography of the artist as well as additional information such as a reference work, portrait of the artist, and/or citations.
- Author BiographyNorbert Wolf has published books on medieval art, Piranesi, Velazquez, and Romantic painting, including TASCHEN's Basic Art titles on Velazquez, Kirchner, Friedrich, Holbein, Durer, and Giotto and Codices Illustres: The World's Most Famous Illuminated Manuscripts. He lives in Munich.
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication25/08/2007
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleTaschen Basic Genre Series
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Out-of-print date01/12/2011
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width230 mm
- Height185 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byNorbert Wolf
- Format DetailsWith flaps
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.