All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRomanticism, Literature and Philosophy proposes a radical revisioning of Romantic literature by developing a new insight into its philosophical importance. It challenges both a number of recent attacks on philosophical reason, and new historicist readings of Romanticism, by arguing that they fundamentally misinterpret what reason is in strikingly similar ways. Engaging with the philosophical, political and literary writings of Rousseau, Kant and Mark Wollstonecraft, and with the deconstruction of Paul de Man and Gayatri Spivak, it suggests that postmodernism's recent assault on Enlightement universalism, and on aesthetic automy, in the name of particularity and heterogeneity underestimates the capacity of reason to orient itself towards forms of anthropological and literary defence. Simon Swift is Lecturer in Critical and Culural Theory at the School of English, University of Leeds.
- Author BiographySimon Swift is Lecturer in Critical and Cultural Theory at the School of English, University of Leeds.
- Author(s)Simon Swift
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication08/06/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width234 mm
- Height156 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.