All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this original book, David Halpin argues that an understanding of the Romantic roots of progressive education is a necessary condition for restoring to critical consciousness some important, but currently neglected, basic ideas about teaching and learning - ideas about the importance of imaginative experience and its promotion; ideas about the high status that should be conferred on childhood; ideas about the importance of love and friendship in schooling; ideas about the positive role that heroism can play in making learning more effective; and ideas about viewing teaching as a critical vocation. These themes are pursued in separate chapters, each of which is illuminated by reference to the literary and intellectual contributions of four nineteenth century English Romantic writers: William Hazlitt, William Wordsworth, Samuel Coleridge and William Blake. This well-written and illuminating book will stimulate fresh thinking about pedagogic reform. It will be interesting reading for those studying for Masters and Doctoral degrees in education as well as academics, researchers and policy-makers working in the same field.
- Author BiographyDavid Halpin is Professor of Education and Head of the School of Curriculum, Pedagogy & Assessment at the Institute of Education, University of London. He is the author of four books (Routledge, Open UP, Kogan Page, Trentham); editor of the London Review of Education.
- Author(s)David Halpin
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/06/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight418 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.