All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionAt the turn of the fifteenth century, Rome was in the midst of a dramatic transformation from what the fourteenth-century poet Petrarch had termed a crumbling city populated by broken ruins into a prosperous Christian capital. Scholars, artists, architects, and engineers fascinated by Rome were spurred to develop new graphic modes for depicting the city-and the genre kwn as the city portrait exploded. In Rome Measured and Imagined, Jessica Maier explores the history of this genre - which merged the accuracy of scientific endeavor with the imaginative aspects of art - during the rise of Renaissance print culture. Through an exploration of works dating from the fifteenth to the eighteenth centuries, her book interweaves the story of the city portrait with that of Rome itself. Highly interdisciplinary and beautifully illustrated with nearly one hundred city portraits, Rome Measured and Imagined advances the scholarship on Renaissance Rome and print culture in fascinating ways.
- Author BiographyJessica Maier is assistant professor of art history at Mount Holyoke College.
- Author(s)Jessica Maier
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/05/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note12 colour plates, 84 halftones
- Weight771 g
- Width100 mm
- Height70 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.