All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOxbow says: Our conception of Roman frontiers is dominated by images of Hadrian's Wall, a fixed, physical barrier comprising ditches, ramparts and walls, and forts. However, the Roman frontier kwn as the Gask line, located in Perthshire in Scotland, which is vying to become the earliest fortified land frontier in the Roman Empire, challenges our idea of Roman fontier systems. This study draws on ten years of investigation at Roman military sites in Scotland, including 27 excavations at 18 sites plus geophysical surveys and aerial photography. The first part of the book presents detailed surveys and descriptions of various forts, camps and watchtowers stretched across the Highlands accompanied by maps, plans and photographs. The second parts seeks to interpret the evidence and places it within a historical and military context. The authors assess the date and function of these military installations suggesting how they might have formed a highly flexible form of defence, designed to control and monitor, perhaps serving as points in a supply line or signalling system, and from which to launch assaults into the Highlands. The Gask Line t only represents a more open frontier system, unlike the fixed barriers of the Limes or Hadrian's Wall, but also shows how the existing historical narrative of Roman Scotland is both flawed and biased.
- Author BiographyDavid Woolliscroft and Birgitta Hoffmann direct the 'Roman Gask Project' at the University of Liverpool. David is the author of Hadrian's Wall from the Air (The History Press 2001) and Roman Military Signalling (The History Press 2001). Birgitta is an ancient historian and archaeologist who has published widely on the Roman military and Roman finds. Both authors live in Cheshire.
- Author(s)Birgitta Hoffmann,David Woolliscroft
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2006
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note95 b/w illus, 31 col pls
- Weight689 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $3.54Trending at AU $7.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.