Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2010 Boardman Tasker Prize. Ron Fawcett is a natural-born climber. In 1969, while still at school in his native Yorkshire, he tied into a climbing rope for the first time and was instantly hooked. From that moment on, it seemed thing else in his life mattered nearly as much as his next vertical fix. Ten years later, Fawcett was the most famous rock climber in Britain and among the best in the world, part of a new wave whose dedication to training transformed the sport, pushing standards further and faster than ever before - or since. His legacy of new climbs ranks him alongside the very best in the history of the sport. He was also the first to style himself a professional rock climber, starring in the landmark television documentary Rock Athlete , and appearing on the covers of magazines around the world. But far from enjoying the fame, Fawcett found the pressures of the limelight too much to bear, and at the end of the 1980s he faded from view. Now, for the first time, he tells his extraordinary story, of how his love of nature and the outdoors developed into a passion for climbing that took him to the top - and almost consumed him. This title won the 2010 Boardman Tasker Prize and was shortlisted for the 2010 Banff Mountain Book Competition. It comes from the publisher of Jerry Moffatt - Revelations , winner of the Grand Prize at the 2009 Banff Mountain Book Festival. It is written by the leading journalist Ed Douglas. British rock climbing's folk hero Ron Fawcett tells his story for the first time.
- Author BiographyRon Fawcett is a British rock climbing legend. As one of a number of leading climbers in the 1970s, Ron was in no small part responsible for rock climbing's evolution from amateur pursuit, to professional endeavour. His drive, and physical and mental ability, gave him an edge with which to forge new ground. Climbs such as Lord of the Flies and Strawberries were at the forefront of world climbing at the time, and are still considered formidable challenges over 30 years later. Arguably the first to translate his talent into a career, Fawcett attracted sponsorship deals and starred in a number of TV shows and specialist films, including the cult classic Rock Athlete, by filmmaker Sid Perou, and Dead Men's Tales by Leo Dickinson. Ron lives in the Peak District with his two daughters.
- PrizesWinner of Boardman Tasker Prize for Mountain Literature 2010. Shortlisted for Banff Mountain Book Competition 2010.
- Author(s)Ron Fawcett
- PublisherVertebrate Graphics Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2011
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVertebrate Graphics Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white text with 3 x 8pp full colour inserts
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.