All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionClose to three hundred stores and supermarkets were looted during week-long food riots in Argentina in December 2001. Thirty-four people were reported dead and hundreds were injured. Among the looting crowds, activists from the Peronist party (the main political party in the country) were quite prominent. During the lootings, police officers were conspicuously absent - particularly when small stores were sacked. Through a combination of archival research, statistical analysis, multi-sited fieldwork, and taking heed of the perspective of contentious politics, this book provides an analytic description of the origins, course, meanings, and outcomes of the December 2001 wave of lootings in Argentina.
- Author BiographyJavier Auyero is an Associate Professor of Sociology at the State University of New York, Stony Brook. He was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship in 2001 and a Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship in 2005. He is the author of Poor People's Politics and Contentious Lives and has published articles in Theory and Society, Ethnography, Mobilization, Latin American Research Review, and the Journal of Latin American Studies, among others. He is the current editor of Qualitative Sociology.
- PrizesWinner of American Sociological Association - Political Sociology: Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship 2008.
- Author(s)Javier Auyero
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication16/04/2007
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Contentious Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 tables
- Weight320 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Series Edited byDouglas McAdam,Sidney G. Tarrow,The late Charles Tilly
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.