All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive handbook provides a global overview of ocean resources and management by focusing on critical issues relating to human development and the marine environment, their interrelationships as expressed through the uses of the sea as a resource, and the regional expression of these themes. The underlying approach is geographical, with prominence given to the biosphere, political arrangements and regional patterns - all considered to be especially crucial to the human understanding required for the use and management of the world's oceans. Part one addresses key themes in our kwledge of relationships between people and the sea on a global scale, including ecomic and political issues, and understanding and managing marine environments. Part two provides a systematic review of the uses of the sea, grouped into food, ocean space, materials and energy, and the sea as an environmental resource. Part three on the geography of the sea considers management strategies especially related to the state system, and regional management developments in both core ecomic regions and the developing periphery. The primary themes within each chapter are governance (including institutional and legal bases); policy - sets of ideas governing management; and management, both technical and general.
- Author BiographyHance D. Smith was a Reader in the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences at Cardiff University, UK until 2011. He is Editor of Marine Policy, the leading academic journal of ocean affairs. His academic interests include marine geography, marine resources and environmental management, and marine policy. Juan Luis Suarez de Vivero is a Professor in the Department of Human Geography, University of Seville, Spain. His special interests are social science aspects of maritime policy, ocean governance and integrated coastal zone management. Tundi S. Agardy is Executive Director of Sound Seas, a US-based group focused on marine protected areas, ecosystem-based management, and coastal planning. She is author of Ocean Zoning (Earthscan, 2010).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/10/2015
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Note103 black & white illustrations, 32 black & white tables, 9 black & white halftones, 62 black & white line drawings
- Weight1202 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byHance D. Smith,Tundi S. Agardy
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.98Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.