All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA growing body of evidence shows that physical activity can be a cost-effective and safe intervention for the prevention and treatment of a wide range of mental health problems. As researchers and clinicians around the world look for evidence-supported alternatives and complements to established forms of therapy (medication and psychotherapy), interest in physical activity mounts. The Routledge Handbook of Physical Activity and Mental Health offers the most comprehensive review of the research evidence on the effects of physical activity on multiple facets of mental health. Written by a team of world-leading international experts, the book covers ten thematic areas: * physical activity and the 'feel good' effect * anxiety disorders * depression and mood disorders * self-perceptions and self-evaluations * cognitive function across the lifespan * psychosocial stress * pain * energy and fatigue * addictions * quality of life in special populations. This volume presents a balanced assessment of the research evidence, highlights important directions for future work, and draws clear links between theory, research, and clinical practice. As the most complete and authoritative resource on the topic of physical activity and mental health, this is essential reading for researchers, students and practitioners in a wide range of fields, including clinical and health psychology, psychiatry, neuroscience, behavioural and preventive medicine, gerontology, nursing, public health and primary care.
- Author BiographyPanteleimon Ekkekakis is an Associate Professor at the Department of Kinesiology, Iowa State University, USA. His research focuses on the affective responses to physical activity of different levels of intensity, as well as the cognitive and physiological factors that influence these responses. His publications span the areas of affective psychology, psychometrics, personality and individual differences, psychophysiology, health psychology, behavioural and preventive medicine, applied physiology, and exercise science. He is also an elected fellow of the American College of Sports medicine.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/04/2015
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Series TitleRoutledge International Handbooks
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white tables, 57 black & white line drawings
- Weight1048 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byPanteleimon Ekkekakis
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.