All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSwedish filmmaker Roy Andersson's celebrated and enigmatic film Songs from the Second Floor, his first feature film in twenty-five years, won the Special Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival in 2000. The songs of the film's title refer to Andersson's artistic ruminations on the state of mankind from his office on the second floor of Studio 24 in Stockholm. The film presents a series of forty-six tableaux-long, deep-focus shots with a still camera, mostly in studio settings, using older visual tricks such as trompe l'oeil. The tableaux showcase seemingly trivial tragicomic situations designed to provoke thoughts about existential guilt, broken relationships, and the failure of social institutions to treat people as human beings. Lindqvist draws from interviews with Andersson and his team that provide a behind-the-scenes look at how the film was made and investigates its philosophical and artistic influences, providing a nuanced reading of a film that has both befuddled and entranced its viewers. This first book-length study in English of Andersson's work considers his aesthetic agenda and the unique methods that have become hallmarks of his filmmaking, as well as his firm belief in film's revolutionary function as social critique.
- Author BiographyUrsula Lindqvist is assistant professor of Scandinavian studies and film and media studies at Gustavus Adolphus College.
- Author(s)Ursula Lindqvist
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication13/05/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleNordic Film Classics
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note18 black & white illustrations, 18 b&w illus.
- Weight420 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.