All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.17Trending at AU $52.09
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionIlluminated manuscripts collected by the kings and queens of England from the 9th to the 16th century form the heart of a unique and visually stunning collection held by the British Library. A key figure in the formation of the collection is King Edward IV (1461-1483), who commissioned luxury manuscripts decorated with his arms. Subsequent monarchs added to this library, which was given to the nation by George II in 1757. Over 150 examples from this exceptional collection are presented in this catalog which accompanies a major British Library exhibition of the same name. These manuscripts contain paintings produced by some of the finest artists of the Middle Ages and together provide the most vivid surviving source for understanding royal identity, moral and religious beliefs, learning, faith, and international politics. The catalog features a full-page entry of around 750 words on each manuscript included, as well as three illustrated essays which explore the wider history and context of this unique collection. It will also be lavishly illustrated, with a beautiful reproduction of an image from each manuscript presented alongside the text for every entry.
- Author BiographyScot McKendrick is Head of History and Classics at the British Library. John Lowden is Director of the Research Centre for Illuminated Manuscripts of the Courtauld Institute of Art at the University of London. Kathleen Doyle is Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts at the British Library.
- Author(s)Dr. John Lowden,Kathleen Doyle,Scot McKendrick
- PublisherThe British Library Publishing Division
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe British Library Publishing Division
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight2087 g
- Width230 mm
- Height288 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.