All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn extraordinary and inspirational journey to make a difference! In 2014, Al DeCesaris set out on a 1,935-mile solo run from Lubec, Maine to Key Largo, Florida. He ran to bring hope to his 10-year-old niece Jenna who suffers with Sturge-Weber Syndrome, a rare and life-threatening neurological disorder. He ran to create awareness and raise funds for medical research so a cure can be found. For three consecutive months, he battled the rigors of the road, endured numerous injuries, encountered wild animals, and narrowly escaped getting hit by more than a few reckless drivers. Yet, he also experienced the generosity of strangers, had heart-warming interactions with families affected by this devastating disorder, and came to realize - with purpose, determination, and belief - even the seemingly impossible can be achieved. Running The Coast For A Cure is one man's journey to make a difference for his niece. Told with humor and warmth, Al candidly captures the adversity he faced and the joy he experienced as he ran close to a marathon a day through 14 states down the East Coast. His journey of love and hope will have you running with him, and leave you inspired.
- Author BiographyFor the past 10 years, Al DeCesaris has volunteered his time and devoted tremendous effort to fighting Sturge-Weber Syndrome, a rare and life-threatening neurological disorder that afflicts his niece Jenna. Through charitable events, extraordinary athletic endeavors, and his For A Cure books, he has created considerable awareness about the disorder and raised significant funds to further the efforts to find a cure. Al's crusade began not long after the birth of his niece. Recognizing the importance of raising funds for the research and treatment of Sturge-Weber Syndrome, he and his family organized an annual concert and auction fundraiser called Bands on the Bay. Since its inception, the event has raised over one million dollars and helped fund research that led to the ground-breaking discovery of the cause of Sturge-Weber Syndrome. In 2013, he set out on a solo cross-country bicycle journey in honor of Jenna, pedaling over 3,000 miles from Santa Monica, California to Ocean City, Maryland. The following year, he took on another incredibly challenging athletic endeavor, this time on foot. Running solo close to a marathon a day for three consecutive months, he covered 1,935 miles as he made his way from Lubec, Maine to Key Largo, Florida. Through his charity ride and run, he created awareness about Sturge-Weber Syndrome across the country, raised critical funds for medical research, and brought hope to his niece and countless others suffering with this devastating disorder. Al wrote about his experiences on the road: the things he saw, the emotions he felt, the challenges he faced and of the extraordinary people he met along the way. His books, Crossing America For A Cure and Running The Coast For A Cure, are honest, entertaining and, above all, inspirational. To further the efforts to find a cure for Sturge-Weber Syndrome, Al is dedicating all profits from the sale of his For A Cure books to medical research. Al is extremely passionate about the charitable work he's involved in and is always willing to share his story of advocacy and service with others. Using his extraordinary athletic endeavors as examples, Al delivers an uplifting message of inspiration and hope, and demonstrates how we all have the power to make a difference in the world through charitable work. His audiences are motivated and empowered to find their purpose, go the distance for those in need, and create positive change in the world!
- Author(s)Al Decesaris
- PublisherCelebrate Hope Foundation, Inc.
- Date of Publication09/04/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCelebrate Hope Foundation, Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Foreword byAlan Faneca
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.24
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.44
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.