Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $26.97
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $39.38
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.18
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $11.53Trending at AU $15.10
- AU $10.87Trending at AU $13.50
About this product
- DescriptionThis title presents the first 25 episodes from the landmark BBC Radio series. Martin Sixsmith brings his first-hand experience of reporting from Russia to this fascinating narrative, witnessing the critical moment when the Soviet Union finally lost its grip on power. Power struggles have a constant presence in his story, from the Mongol hordes that invaded in the 13th century, through the iron autocratic fists of successive Tsars. Ivan the Terrible, Catherine the Great, Peter the Great - all left their mark on a nation that pursued expansion to the East, West and South. Many Tsars flirted with reform, but the gap between the rulers and the ruled widened until, in 1917, the doomed last Tsar, Nicholas II, abdicated. The first part of Sixsmith's history ends with Lenin and the Bolsheviks forcing through the final Revolution and paving the way for the Communist state. Eyewitness accounts and readings from Russian authors and historians, from Pushkin to Solzhenitsyn, enhance this fascinating account, as well as music taken from a wide range of Russian composers including Glinka, Tchaikovsky, Borodin and Shostakovich. Martin Sixsmith traces Russia's turbulent 1000-year history from its founding to the Revolution.
- Author BiographyAuthor and broadcaster Martin Sixsmith was a BBC foreign correspondent from 1980 to 1997, reporting from Europe and America. He was based in Moscow for five years and reported on the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. He studied Russian literature, language, and history at Oxford, Harvard, and in St. Petersburg.
- Author(s)Martin Sixsmith
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication02/06/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight181 g
- Width142 mm
- Height124 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Running Time335
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.