All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection offers a treasure trove of primary sources of interest to students of women's history. Carefully introduced and antated, these documents illustrate the diversity of Russian women's lives. -Barbara Alpern Engel There is other work that offers such a wide variety of documents and such a successful combination of literary and historical materials. -Ann Hibner Koblitz This rich anthology of source materials makes available for the first time in any language a multitude of primary sources on the lives of Russian women from the reign of Peter the Great to the Bolshevik revolution. The selections are drawn from a wide variety of documents, published and unpublished, including memoirs, diaries, legal codes, correspondence, short fiction, poetry, ethgraphic observations, and folklore. Primacy is given to sources produced by women and previously unavailable in English translation. Organized thematically, the documents focus on women's family life, work and schooling, public activism, creative self-expression, and sexuality and spirituality, as well as on the cultural ideals and legal framework which constrained women of all social classes.
- Author BiographyRobin Bisha, who holds a Ph.D. in Russian history from Indiana University, recently completed an M.A. in Journalism and Mass Communications from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She previously taught history at Kalamazoo College and the University of Texas at El Paso. Jehanne M Gheith is Associate Professor in the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at Duke University. Christine Holden is Associate Professor in the Department of History at the University of Southern Maine. She previously taught at Bates College and also was a Legislative Assistant for the Maine State Legislature. William G. Wagner is Brown Professor of History and Chair of the Department of History, Williams College.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2002
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note30 b&w photos, 1 maps, 1 bibliog., 1 index
- Weight771 g
- Width164 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byChristine Holden,Jehanne M. Gheith,Robin Bisha,William G. Wagner
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.