All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRuth Crawford Seeger's Worlds offers new perspectives on the life and pioneering musical activities of American composer and folk music activist Ruth Crawford Seeger (1901-53). Ruth Crawford developed a unique modernist style with such w-esteemed works as her String Quartet 1931.In 1933, after marrying Charles Seeger, she turned to the work of teaching music to children and of transcribing, arranging, and publishing folk songs. This collection of studies by musicologists, music theorists, folklorists, historians, music educators, and women's studies scholars reveals how invation and tradition have intertwined in surprising ways to shape the cultural landscape of twentieth-century America. CONTRIBUTORS: LYN ELLEN BURKETT, MELISSA J. DE GRAAF, TAYLOR A. GREER, LYDIA HAMESSLEY, BESS LOMAX HAWES, JERROLD HIRSCH, ROBERTA LAMB, CAROL J. OJA, NANCY YUNHWA RAO, JOSEPH N. STRAUS, JUDITH TICK. Ray Allen (Brooklyn College) is author of Singing in the Spirit: African-American Sacred Quartets in New York City Ellie M. Hisama (Columbia University) is author of Gendering Musical Modernism: The Music of Ruth Crawford Seeger, Marion Bauer, and Miriam Gideon.
- Author BiographyEllie M. Hisama is professor of music at Columbia University.
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication01/02/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleEastman Studies in Music
- Series Part/Volume NumberVolume 41
- Place of PublicationRochester
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Rochester Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight631 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byEllie M. Hisama,Ray Allen
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.