All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConstituting the first comprehensive look at Ruth Maleczech's work, Jessica Brater's companion is a landmark study in invative theatre practice, bringing together biography, critical analysis, and original interviews to establish a portrait of this Obie-award winning theatre artist. Tracing Maleczech's background, training, and influences, the volume contextualizes her work and the founding of Mabou Mines within the wider landscape of American avant-garde theatre. It considers her performances and productions, revealing both her interest in making ordinary women important onstage, and her predilection for resurrecting extraordinary women from history and finding their resonances within a contemporary theatrical context. Brater considers Maleczech's investment in redrawing the boundaries of what women are allowed to say, both on stage and off, and shows how her commitment to radical artistic and production risks has reshaped the contours of a contemporary theatrical experience. Highlights of the volume include discussion of productions such as Mabou Mines' Lear, Dead End Kids, Hajj, Lucia's Chapters of Coming Forth by Day, Red Beads, and La Divina Caricatura, as well as a close look at Maleczech's final work-in-progress, Imagining the Imaginary Invalid.
- Author BiographyJessica Silsby Brater works in the Department of Theatre at Barnard College, New York, USA, and serves as a Teaching Artist at the Marymount School Drama Department in New York City. She is the founding Artistic Director of the Brooklyn-based company Polybe + Seats and holds a PhD in Theatre Studies from The Graduate Center, CUNY, USA.
- Author(s)Jessica Silsby Brater
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication25/02/2016
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleMethuen Drama Engage
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note10 bw illus
- Weight350 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Series Edited byEnoch Brater,Mark Taylor-Batty
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.