Rylant & Goode : When I Was Young in the Mountains (Hbk) by Cynthia Rylant (Hardback, 1992)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.91Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen I was young in the mountains, Grandfather came home in the evening covered with the black dust of a coal mine. Only his lips were clean, and he used them to kiss the top of my head. Growing up in the mountains was special. Grandmother made hot corn bread and fried okra. There were trips to the swimming hole and Crawford's store. Each pleasure was one to share - and remember. And each is part of a gentle story, illuminated with perceptively happy paintings, that evokes the love of a way of life, of a family, and most of all, of a place.
- Author BiographyAs a child, Diane Goode loved books and art. She has been drawing ever since she can remember.Of Italian and French descent, she enjoyed the richness of both cultures and traveled to Europeevery summer visiting family as well as cathedrals and museums. She feels that these earlyimpressions helped shape her appreciation of art and life. She studied art history at QueensCollege, but switched to fine arts, in which she earned her degree. Her love for Europe shows in the setting of many of her books Paris in particular, where two ofher recent picture books, Where's Our Mama? and Mama's PerfectPresent. take place. She drewon her experience of living for a short time in Pennsylvania, to do the art work for CynthiaRylant's story of Appalachia, When I Was Young in the Mountains, for which shewas awarded aCaldecott Honor Medal. Diane Goode has illustrated 27 books for children, including anthologiesand stories she has written herself. She has always been drawn to the classics and has illustratedmany of the traditional fairy tales. Of her process, she says: I always begin with a rough dummy and then work on the individual pages, sketching veryloosely and quickly to establish movement and composition. I do these dozens of times, repositioning enlarging, reducing, adding and omitting. There are always hundreds of sketches foreach book. It sounds tedious, but it is the most exciting part of creating a book. When I msatisfied with these, I do the final art. All of my work is done on opaline parchment, a thin butstrong paper. I sketch lightly in pencil and use water colors applied with very fine sable brushes.Sometimes I use color pencils with the paint to soften the atmosphere. Diane Goode now lives in Watchung, New Jersey, with her husband David, an author and collegeprofessor. Their son, Peter, attends Rhode Island School of Design.
- Author(s)Cynthia Rylant
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/01/1992
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Out-of-print date29/01/2010
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width203 mm
- Height264 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Diane Goode
- Format DetailsPicture book,Sewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.