All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnyone who has spent even a little time outdoors has come across strange tracks left by animals of people and wondered what was here? In this practical guide, former-SAS member Bob Carss shows how to track any moving thing, in any environment, and under nearly any circumstance. He begins by explaining common terms, such as a top sign , markings left above ankle height; pointers , signs that tell the general direction of the quarry; and a conclusive sign, markings that confirm the quarry's presence. The difference between tracks left by quarry and false tracks are described, as well as how a pattern of signs builds into the tracking picture - the overall movement, direction, and motivation of the quarry. Included are tips on: Tracking in desert, forest, jungle, marsh, and grassy areas Interpreting animal, human, and vehicle signs How to preserve night vision Using time frames to eliminate misleading signs Detecting quarry when they backtrack or circle around How time and weather affect signs How to spot intentionally misleading signs The SAS Guide to Tracking is a remarkable guide to developing a new awareness of the outdoors and is the perfect companion for naturalists, outdoorspeople, hunters, wildlife photographers, search-and-rescue teams, and law enforcement.
- Author BiographyBob Carss began his military career at age seventeen with the King's Own Scottish Borderers. He transferred to the world-famous Special Air Service (SAS), where he received training as a tracker in the jungles of New Zealand and with the Iban trackers in Brunei, desert tracking in the dunes of the Empty Quarter and the Sahara, and in all terrains in between. Both Carss and illustrator Stewart Birch live in Hereford, England, where the SAS Regiment is based.
- Author(s)Bob Carss
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication04/11/2008
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationGuilford
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Lyons Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight23 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Illustrator(s)Roy Thomasson
- Foreword byJohn 'Lofty' Wiseman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.