All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe divisions of the Waffen-SS were the elite of Hitler's armies in WWII. SS-Wiking is an in-depth examination of one of the most torious, the Wiking division, which was largely recruited from foreign volunteers from German-occupied countries in Europe after 1940. Despite their n-Germanic background, the Norwegians, Dutch, Danes, Belgians, Finns, and other nationalities, often motivated by an extreme anti-Communist zeal and believing that the Soviet Union was their real enemy, fought hard on the Eastern Front for the Nazi cause, and won considerable praise for their bravery. SS-Wiking explores the background to the unit's formation during the war, its propaganda value to Nazi Germany, the men it recruited, the key figures involved in the division, and its organisation. It also looks at the specialist training of the Waffen-SS, and the uniforms and insignia that the members of the division wore. SS-Wiking also provides a full combat record of the unit during its existence. The book describes the unit's service in on the Eastern Front, including the invasion of Russia, the capture of Rostov, the hard-fought defensive battles of 1943, the breakout from the Cherkassy pocket, and the defence of Warsaw, to the fruitless attempt to relieve Budapest and the unit's effective destruction by the war's end. Illustrated with rare photographs, and with an authoritative text and detailed appendices, SS-Wiking is a definitive history of one of Germany's top fighting units of WWII.
- Author BiographyRupert Butler is an author and journalist who specialises in historical narratives on the origins of the Third Reich and on WWII. A contributor to many international newspapers and magazines, he is the author of a number of books, including SS-Leibstandarte, SS-Wiking, The Black Angels (on the Waffen-SS), and The Curse of the Death's Head (on the Totenkopf SS Division). Rupert Butler lives in London, UK.
- Author(s)Rupert Butler
- PublisherAmber Books Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleThe Waffen SS Divisional Histories Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmber Books Ltd
- Width189 mm
- Height240 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.63Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.