Sacred Rights: The Case for Contraception and Abortion in World Religions by Oxford University Press Inc (Paperback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.22Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the global population continues to grow, family planning is fast becoming one of the most critical issues facing the planet. While many organizations-most prominently the United Nations-are trying to implement policies that will help curb the population explosion, these measures are frequently blocked by those professing conservative religious beliefs. In many of the world's religions there is a restrictive and pro-natalist view on family planning, and this is one legitimate reading of those religious traditions. As the essays in this volume demonstrate, however, this is t the only legitimate or orthodox view. Seeking to counteract the simplistic idea that all religions are completely antagonistic toward family planning, the authors-all scholar-practitioners of the religions about which they write-present alternative interpretations of religions' views about family planning. Arguing for the existence of equally valid traditions that allow contraception and abortion, they seek to escape the confines of oversimplified either/or, pro-choice/pro-life arguments. Instead, they point the way forward toward a more open discussion of family planning. Dispelling the tion that the world's religions are uniformly conservative on issues of family planning, the authors show that the parameters of orthodoxy are wider and gentler than that, and that the great religious traditions are wiser and more variegated than a simple repetition of the most conservative views would suggest.
- Author BiographyDaniel C. Maguire is Professor of Religious Ethics at Marquette University and President of the Religious Consultation on Population, Reproductive Health and Ethics. Among his many published works are Death by Choice (1974, revised 1984; The Moral Choice (1978); A New American Justice (1980); The New Subversives: Anti-Americanism of the Religious Right (1982); The Moral Revolution (1986); On Moral Grounds: the Art-Science of Ethics (1991); and The Moral Core of Judaism and Christianity (1993).
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note7 figures
- Weight453 g
- Width155 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byDaniel C. Maguire
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.