All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first and only collection of its kind, Sacred Symphony contains 100 transcriptions of muscial excerpts from the chanted sermons of contemporary black preachers. In his introduction to the pieces that follow, author John Michael Spencer argues that there is an observable correlation between the chanted sermons of today's black preachers and the antebellum spiritual. He shows that the pieces collected here, each of which spontaneously evolved during the course of a sermon or prayer service, are themselves spirituals containing similar musical components--melody, rhythm, call and response, counterpoint, harmony, form, and improvisation.
- Author BiographyJON MICHAEL SPENCER is Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar in the Department of Music and Divinity School at Duke University.
- Author(s)Jon Michael Spencer
- Date of Publication04/12/1987
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleContributions in Afro-American and African Studies: Contemporary Black Poets
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 111
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight402 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.