All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
About this product
- DescriptionHerman Melville's oeuvre sustains a fundamental tension among self, society, and others. Sacred Uncertainty explores religious difference that arises from these many voices, both within American culture and around the world. Melville's work is tably shot through with allusions to other writers and thinkers, whom he regarded as his truest interlocutors-the figures of genius from whom he received, as he eloquently stated it in Hawthorne and His Mosses, a shock of recognition. There is almost certainly more concrete or reliable way to get at Melville's affirmations of (and arguments with) these interlocutors than in the markings and antations that appear in his copies of many of their works, so Yothers examines Melville's marginalia for clues to Melville's thinking about self, others, and difference. His interrogations yield a richer understanding of one of the more vexing aspects of the great American velist's work.
- Author BiographyBrian Yothers is a professor of English at the University of Texas, El Paso, USA. He is the author of Melville's Mirrors: Literary Criticismand America's Most Elusive Author and The Romance of the Holy Land in American Travel Writing, 1790-1876. Yothers is the associate editor of Leviathan: A Journal of Melville Studies, a coeditor of the travel section of the Melville Electronic Library, an associate editor for Melville's Marginalia Online, a coeditor of the interdisciplinary journal Journeys, and an editor for the book series Literary Criticism in Perspective.
- Author(s)Brian Yothers
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.