All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.50
About this product
- DescriptionIn October 1995, a conference of physicians, scientists, and polar explorers was convened at the Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge, England. With one voice these experts spoke out about the need for improvement in the standards of safety and medical care for the polar tourist. The conclusions of the world-class experts who attended the conference form the basis for this book, the first to address this important need. The editors have skillfully synthesized the presentations of the conference attendees and drawn on their own and other experts experience to prepare a comprehensive look at the field of polar travel, medicine, and safety. Included are a brief overview of the polar regions, the history of polar exploration and tourism, various nations experiences at Antarctic bases and how they relate to tourism, possible concerns about medical care and safety for tourists in the Arctic and Antarctic, the potential hazards onboard ships, helicopters, and Zodiac-type boats, and recommendations for safety and well-being for tourists and the doctors who serve them. Whether you are a ships doctor, a travel agent, or a prospective polar traveler, the information and anecdotes in this definitive book will be invaluable. Dont embark for the polar regions without reading it.
- Author BiographyJohn M. Levinson, M.D., has had a lifelong involvement in bay and ocean sailing. The founder of Aid for International Medicine, Inc., he has served for many years as ship's surgeon in polar oceans as well as in tropical waters.
- Author(s)Errol Ger,John M. Levinson,Scott Polar Research Institute
- PublisherCornell Maritime Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication31/01/2010
- SubjectTransport Technology
- Place of PublicationCentreville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell Maritime Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Note74 b/w photos, 16 illustrations, 2 maps
- Weight544 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byErrol Ger,John M. Levinson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.