All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
About this product
- DescriptionIn the years since the Second Vatican Council (1962-65) reestablished deacons as a permanent order of the clergy, the diaconate has evolved into one of the most visible and fastest growing areas of ordained ministry within the Church. However, to many who grew up thinking of deacons as merely on a transitional step up the ecclesiastical ladder, the sudden proliferation of permanent members of this order has been both surprising, and mystifying-- and edifying. In Saintly Deacons, Owen Cummings explores the remarkable history and evolution of the diaconate through the lives of six table deacons over the two millennia of Christian history. It traces the tradition from its origians with New Testament Apostolic deacons, Stephen and Philip, to patristic deacons, Lawrence and Ephrem, through the medieval deacons, Alcuin of York and Francis of Assisi, and ends with the Reformation Era deacons, Reginald Pole and Nicholas Ferrar. Cummings shows that, throughout their long history, deacons have t been defined by a narrow job description, but rather have offered themselves to serve the local church as best they can, in accordance with their Godgiven gifts, the request of their bishops, and the tasker that need to be done. And he demonstrates the particular value and relevance of this versatile role in today's church. Saintly Deacons takes a historical perspective and demonstrates the remarkable breadth of diaconal service through the ages. By including the Anglican deacon, Nicholas Ferrar of Little Gidding, Cummings has given this book an ecumenical relevance. Written in a focused and reader-freindly style, his book wil appeal to all Catholics, and will be of particular interest to membersof the diaconate, participants in permanent deacon programs, and parishioners who want to understand more about the background of the deacons within their own parish.
- Author BiographyOwen F. Cummings is Regents' Professor of Theology at Mount Angel Seminary, St. Benedict, Oregon, and a permanent deacon of the diocese of Salt Lake City. A Scotsman, he grew up in Glasgow. He was educated in theology at Trinity College, University of Dublin, and the University of Glasgow. He has written several books and numerous articles on theological and church issues, including Deacons and the Church (Paulist Press).
- Author(s)Owen Cummings
- PublisherPaulist Press International,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/01/2004
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleIllumination Books S.
- Place of PublicationMahwah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPaulist Press International,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight86 g
- Width130 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.