All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $22.33Free postage
- AU $22.11Free postage
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $30.42Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.14
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
About this product
- DescriptionA finger, a lock of hair, a crucifix, a chalice if such items belonged to a saint, they are considered to be relics and as such are venerated by the Catholic Church. Anyone who thinks that relics are remnants of the Middle Ages should log on to eBay. On any day of the week the online shopper will find a thriving business in the sale of these items, ranging from the dust from the tomb of Christ to splinters of the True Cross to bone fragments of countless holy men and women. In Saints Preserved: An Encyclopedia of Relics, author Thomas J. Craughwell takes us on an exhilarating journey through the life and death of more than three hundred saints and along the way enlightens us about the sometimes strange bits and pieces that the saints left behind. Including entries on the famous (Saint Peter, Saint Francis, Saint Therese of Lisieux) and the t so famous (Saint Foy, Saint Sicaire, Saint Chrysogonus), Saints Preserved also features information on such table relics as the Holy House where Jesus, Mary, and Joseph lived; the Crown of Thorns; the Holy Grail; and the seven places that claim to possess the head of Saint John the Baptist among them a mosque in Damascus. Moreover, this book includes major relics that are enshrined in the United States for example, the complete skeleton of the Roman martyr Saint Vibiana enshrined in a cathedral in Los Angeles. From the extraordinary Aachen relics to the remains of Saint Zita, Saints Preserved is an indispensable compendium for spiritual seekers, history buffs, and anyone interested in deepening their understanding of the Catholic faith.
- Author BiographyTHOMAS J. CRAUGHWELL is the author of Saints Behaving Badly, Saints Preserved, This Saint Will Change Your Life, and Pope Francis: The Pope from the End of the Earth. Every month he writes a column on patron saints for Catholic diocesan newspapers. He has also written about saints for the Wall Street Journal, St. Anthony Messenger, and Catholic Digest and has discussed saints on CNN and EWTN. His book, Stealing Lincoln's Body, was made into a two-hour documentary on the History Channel.
- Author(s)Thomas J Craughwell
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/07/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.