All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow does literature imagine its own powers of representation? Francoise Meltzer attempts to answer this question by looking at how the portrait the painted portrait, framed appears in various literary texts. Alien to the verbal system of the text yet mimetic of the gesture of writing, the textual portrait becomes a telling measure of literature's views on itself, on the politics of representation, and on the power of writing. Meltzer'sreadings of textual portraits in the Gospel writers and Huysmans, Virgil and Stendhal, the Old Testament and Apuleius, Hawthorne and Poe, Kafka and Rousseau, Walter Scott and Mme de Lafayette reveal an interplay of control and subversion: writing attempts to veil the visual and to erase the sensual in favor of meaning, while portraiture, with its claims to bringing the natural object to life, resists and eludes such control. Meltzer shows how this tension is indicative of a politics of repression and subversion intrinsic to the very act of representation. Throughout, she raises and illuminates fascinating issues: about the relation of flattery to caricature, the nature of the uncanny, the relation ofrepresentation to memory and history, the narcissistic character of representation, and the interdependency of representation and power. Writing, thinking, speaking, dreaming, acting the extent to which these are all controlled by representation must, Meltzer concludes, become consciously unconscious. In the textualportrait, she locates the moment when this essential process is both revealed and repressed.
- Author BiographyFrancoise Meltzer is associate professor of French and comparative literature at theUniversity of Chicago.
- Author(s)Francoise Meltzer
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication01/11/1989
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight283 g
- Width170 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.