Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.08
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- Description'Highly recommended as a thorough examination of the commodity history of salt'-The Geographical Journal. Salt has been called the primordial addiction. It has been an object of almost universal consumption since Neolithic times. This book sets out to place the particular histories of salt in a global perspective and write the history of a human commodity as a theme in world history. From pagan man, through classical Rome, Byzantium, early Islam, the Dark Ages, the Renaissance to the modern world, the production, distribution, consumption and taxation of salt are examined. The author shows how a history of salt cant be separated from the histories of commerce, medicine, diet, cooking, taxation, invention and war. Although taken for granted today, salt has been of critical ecomic and cultural importance to countries and peoples throughout history; the instigator and catalyst to actions and events ranging from the first maritime expedition of Muslim forces to Columbus's discovery of America. After Salt and Civilization salt can t be taken for granted again.
- Author(s)S. A. M. Adshead
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication12/12/1991
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight697 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine35 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.