Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $41.85Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a collection of popular sermons by one of the nineteenth-century's most famous evangelists. Deemed the 'Georgia Wonder', Methodist preacher Sam Jones (1847-1906) was among the first evangelists, along with Dwight Moody, to garner a national reputation, and after Moody's death he assumed the mantle of America's premier popular preacher. Sam Jones' Own Book was a national bestseller on its initial release 120 years ago but has been largely out of print ever since. The volume collects Jones' most popular sermons, each peppered with southern wit, folk wisdom, and straightforward calls for reform, like his clarion call to quit your meanness. The book ably demonstrates the unvarnished humorist and moralizing preacher at his cleverest: 'Whisky is a good thing in its place', he declares in one representative passage, 'and that place is in hell. If I get there I will drink all I can get, but I won't do it here'. A brief autobiographical sketch recounts his personal trials and triumphs as well. Loved or hated, praised or reviled, Sam Jones was never igred while he occupied the national stage. He was a larger-than-life southerner who charmed crowds across America with an inviting - albeit simple - reform-minded message. His sermons and aphorisms shed light on the social and religious culture of the late Victorian era and offer modern readers a valuable window into an exciting and turbulent age in American history. This Southern Classics edition of Sam Jones' Own Book includes a new introduction by Randall J. Stephens that explores the rise and reputation of Jones and the reception of his celebrated book.
- Author BiographyAn associate professor of history at Eastern Nazarene College, Randall J. Stephens is an editor of the Journal of Southern Religion, associate editor of Historically Speaking, and the author of The Fire Spreads: Holiness and Pentecostalism in the American South.
- Author(s)Sam P. Jones
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleSouthern Classics
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Note13 illustrations
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Series Edited byMark M. Smith,Peggy G. Hargis
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.