All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSantorini is the Mother of Volcaes (the crater left by the eruption of Karakatoa in Indonesia in 1883 - the largest of modern times - is between one quarter and one third of the size of that at Santorini). At about two hours before sunset the vast bowl of cliffs and islands below the town begins to fill with a palpable light reflected on the water from the declining sun. The murals from the prehistoric site of Akrotiri dating to the 17th century BC are among the most complete and beautiful to have been found so far. The siting of Ancient Thera is one of the most audacious in the Aegean: on three sides the mountain drops over 300m straight to the sea. A fifteen minute ferry ride to Therasia gives a glimpse of what Santorini was like a few decades back. Anaphi is the most arid of the inhabited islands in the Aegean. It feels like a forgotten frontier, remote and dramatic, whose interest lies in its surprises: the sanctuary of Apollo Aigletes, believed to have been first instituted by Jason and the Argonauts, the tiny church of Panaghia Kalamiotissa silhouetted against the sky, the finely decorated Roman sarcophagus lying in a field.
- Author BiographyNigel McGilchrist lectures widely in art and archaeology at museums and institutions both in Europe and in the United States. He was Director of the Anglo-Italian Institute in Rome for six years, taught at the University of Rome, for the University of Massachusetts and was for seven years Dean of the joint Faculty of European Studies for a consortium of American Universities and Colleges. In recent years he has been lecturing at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC and at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art in California. Over the last six years he has walked every path and village of the sixty inhabited Greek Aegean islands in order to prepare the twenty volumes of McGilchrist's Greek Islands. He lives near Orvieto in Italy where he produces olive oil and red wine.
- Author(s)Nigel McGilchrist
- PublisherGenius Loci Publications
- Date of Publication01/07/2009
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleMcGilchrist's Greek Islands
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGenius Loci Publications
- Content Note2 maps, 2 plans
- Weight113 g
- Width115 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $14.98New
- AU $12.54New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $38.95
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.49
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $56.39
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $21.30
- AU $23.03Trending at AU $25.40
- AU $34.95Trending at AU $43.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.