All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $20.37Free postage
- AU $23.79Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionNoel Streatfeild is best kwn as a writer for children, but had t thought of writing for them until persuaded to re-work her first vel as Ballet Shoes; this had sold ten million copies by the time of her death. Saplings (1945), her tenth book for adults, is also about children: a family with four of them, to whom we are first introduced in all their secure Englishness in the summer of 1939. 'Her purpose is to take a happy, successful, middle-class pre-war family - and then track in miserable detail the disintegration and devastation which war brought to tens of thousands of such families,' writes the psychiatrist Dr Jeremy Holmes in his Afterword. Her 'supreme gift was her ability to see the world from a child's perspective' and 'she shows that children can remain serene in the midst of terrible events as long as they are handled with love and openness.' She understood that 'the psychological consequences of separating children from their parents was glossed over in the rush to ensure their physical survival...It is fascinating to watch Streatfeild casually and intuitively anticipate many of the findings of developmental psychology over the past fifty years.' 'A study of the disintegration of a middle-class family during the turmoil of the Second World War, and quite shocking' wrote Sarah Waters in the Guardian. Saplings was a ten-part serial on BBC Radio 4 in 2004.
- Author BiographyNoel Streatfeild, born 1895, was one of the daughters of the Bishop of Lewes and a great-granddaughter of the prison reformer Elizabeth Fry. She was unmarried and led a busy London literary life and had written over eighty books by the time of her death in 1986. Jeremy Holmes is a noted psychiatrist and psychotherapist with an international reputation.
- Author(s)Jeremy Holmes,Noel Streatfeild
- PublisherPersephone Books Ltd
- Date of Publication23/04/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePersephone Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPersephone Books Ltd
- Weight458 g
- Width138 mm
- Height194 mm
- Spine29 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.94
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.68
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.26
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $29.05Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.