Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionContinuum's Guides for the Perplexed are clear, concise and accessible introductions to thinkers, writers and subjects that students and readers can find especially challenging. Concentrating specifically on what it is that makes the subject difficult to fathom, these books explain and explore key themes and ideas, guiding the reader towards a thorough understanding of demanding material. Jean-Paul Sartre is one of the most widely read and important of twentieth-century philosophers, an iconic figure, whose ideas and writings continue to resonate. As the major exponent of Existentialism he is the author of some of the seminal works in the can of modern European philosophy, including Being and Nothingness. A confident understanding of Sartre is essential for students of Continental philosophy. Sartre: A Guide for the Perplexed is an illuminating and comprehensive introduction to the work of this major twentieth-century thinker. It identifies the four key themes that run through Sartre's writings - consciousness, freedom, bad faith and authenticity. It explores each theme in detail, building up a clear and thorough overview of Sartre's philosophy in its entirety. The book examines the core concepts that recur throughout Sartre's work, most tably 'being-in-itself' and 'being-for-itself'. It pays particularly close attention to the relationship between these two phemena - a relationship that underpins Sartre's entire philosophy. Anyone required to read Sartre will find this thematic account of his work an invaluable companion to study.
- Author BiographyGary Cox has a PhD in philosophy and now teaches A-level philosophy at a sixth-form college.
- Author(s)Gary Cox
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/03/2006
- Series TitleGuides for the Perplexed
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.