All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis valuable new addition to Melville studies offers a ground-breaking interpretation of Melville's last published vel, one of the most complex texts in American literature and a work that has long been ted for the divergent critical views it has elicited. Reading the vel as a generic hybrid of narrative satire and apolyptic vision, Cook situates the vel in its implicit theological, historical, and biographical contexts: he examines the vel's relation to Melville's heterodox ideas of the deity, to the increasingly commercialized cultural milieu of antebellum America, and to Melville's own life and literary career. Uncovering a wealth of new data on the vel's satirical applications, including its covert use of Melville's friends and family for character models, Cook offers a compelling reading of The Confidence-Man - one that is sure to influence our future conception of its creator.
- Author BiographyJONATHAN A. COOK has a Ph.D. from Columbia University. He has been a lecturer at Boston University and has published articles on Irving, Hawthorne, and Melville.
- Author(s)Jonathan A. Cook
- Date of Publication30/04/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleContributions to the Study of World Literature
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 67.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Notenotes, index
- Weight538 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.