All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionThe Saturnalia , Macrobius' encyclopedic celebration of Roman culture written in the early fifth century CE, has been prized since the Renaissance as a treasure trove of otherwise unattested lore. Cast in the form of a dialogue, the Saturnalia treats subjects as diverse as the divinity of the Sun and the quirks of human digestion while showcasing Virgil as the master of all human kwledge from diction and rhetoric to philosophy and religion. The new Latin text is based on a refined understanding of the medieval tradition and improves on Willis' standard edition in nearly 300 places. The accompanying translation--only the second in English and the only one w in print - offers a clear and sprightly rendition of Macrobius' ornate Latin and is supplemented by ample antation. A full introduction places the work in its cultural context and analyzes its construction, while indexes of names, subjects, and ancient works cited in both text and tes make the work more readily accessible than ever before.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Kaster is Professor of Classics and Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin, Princeton University and the author of commentaries on Cicero, Seneca, and Suetonius.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication04/01/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleLoeb Classical Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 511
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLoeb Classical Library
- Weight363 g
- Width108 mm
- Height162 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.