All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeing able to see is central to learning, socialisation and earning a living. In many developing and impoverished countries throughout the world, blindness is prevalent because there is access to health and eye care. Simple, easily resolved eye problems are left undiagsed and untreated causing untold suffering and costing the world billions annually. Five conditions (cataract, refractive errors/low vision, trachoma, onchocerciasis, and vitamin A deficiency/other causes) are responsible for 75 percent of all blindness. For each of these, effective and cost-efficient intervention strategies are available. Two hundred million people could see tomorrow if they had access to eye care. A GBP30 cataract surgery taking 15 minutes will restore sight. A pair of prescription glasses will bring the world into focus. In this lively travelogue chronicling the efforts of Seva, an international development agency, readers will learn about how the eye works and how eye problems are corrected. Illustrations reveal how the eyes work to transmit images to the brain. Readers will be touched by the true stories of those who have discovered sight after living in blindness. Seva Canada is a Vancouver-based charitable organization whose mission is to restore sight and prevent blindness in the developing world. Seva works in 13 of the world's poorest places: Nepal, Tibet/China, India, Africa (Malawi, Madagascar, Zambia, Burundi, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Tanzania), Guatemala, Cambodia and Egypt. Since 1982, Seva Canada has helped more that 3.5 million people see again. Proceeds of the sale of Saving Eyesight will be donated to Seva Canada.
- Author BiographyLinda Pruessen is an editor and writer. She has worked on numerous projects during her twenty years in publishing, including How to Raise Monarch Butterflies and Saving Turtles.
- Author(s)Linda Pruessen
- PublisherFirefly Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFirefly Books Ltd
- Content Note60 full colour photos, 17 colour illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width229 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Introduction byPenny Lyons
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $234.90Trending at AU $288.91
- AU $23.49Trending at AU $29.40
- AU $26.50Trending at AU $32.69
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $15.69
- AU $36.47Trending at AU $44.54
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $19.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.