All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKwn as The Great Killer and The White Plague, few diseases influenced American life as much as Tuberculosis. Sufferers migrated to mountain or desert climates believed to ameliorate symptoms. Architects designed homes with sleeping porches and verandas so sufferers could spend time in the open air. The disease even developed its own consumer culture complete with invalid beds, spittoons, sputum collection devices and disinfectants. The preventorium, an institution designed to protect children from the ravages of the disease, emerged in this era of progressive ideals in public health. In this book, Cynthia A. Conlly provides a provocative analysis of public health and family welfare through the lens of the tuberculosis preventorium. This unique facility was intended to prevent TB in indigent children from families labelled irresponsible or at risk for developing the disease. Yet, it also held deeply rooted assumptions about class, race and ethnicity. Conlly goes further to explain how the child-saving themes embedded in the preventorium movement continue to shape children's health care delivery and family policy in the United States.
- Author BiographyCynthia A. Connolly is an associate professor of nursing at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
- Author(s)Cynthia A. Connolly
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleCritical Issues in Health and Medicine Series
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edition StatementFirst Paperback ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $23.89Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.