All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $178.29Trending at AU $199.99
- AU $26.36Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.30
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $11.88
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $13.35
- AU $51.40Trending at AU $52.70
- AU $38.18Trending at AU $44.62
About this product
- DescriptionA behind-the-scenes look at a hospital for severely injured turtles. Turtles have been around for 220 million years - longer than disaurs. But w their time might be running out. Of the roughly 300 species worldwide, more than half are threatened with extinction. Freshwater, marine and land turtles are all affected. And their biggest threat is us! As the human race grows and expands on the planet, turtles are losing their homes, suffering the effects of pollution, the pet and food trade, killed by cars as they try to cross roads, and snared in fishing nets or by fish hooks meant to catch other species. Fortunately, a community of scientists, environmentalists and volunteers around the world are helping to protect and save turtles. The author, Sue Carstairs, is a veterinarian at a turtle rescue and rehabilitation centre. She reveals how she repairs shattered shells, broken jaws, and injured skulls, and nurses severely injured turtles back to health for release into the wild. She also explains how turtle eggs are harvested from injured mothers, incubated, raised in tanks and released into the wild. Organizations around the world performing similar work with land and sea turtles are also profiled. What can readers do to help the worldwide effort to save and protect turtles? Two examples from the many offered in the book: participate in World Turtle Day, on May 23rd every year, sponsored by American Tortoise Rescue, and lobby for 'turtle crossing' signs in nesting areas.
- Author BiographySue Carstairs BSc, DVM is the executive director and medical director at the Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre. She also teaches veterinary science at Seneca College.
- Author(s)Sue Carstairs
- PublisherFirefly Books Ltd
- Date of Publication06/11/2014
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFirefly Books Ltd
- Content Note75 full-colour photos, maps and charts
- Weight476 g
- Width229 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.