Saying, Seeing, and Acting: The Psychological Semantics of Spatial Prepositions by Simon C. Garrod, Kenny R. Coventry (Paperback, 2015)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur use of spatial prepositions carries an implicit understanding of the functional relationships both between objects themselves and human interaction with those objects. This is the thesis rigorously explicated in Saying, Seeing and Acting. It aims to account t only for our theoretical comprehension of spatial relations but our ability to intercede with efficacy in the world of spatially related objects. Only the phemen of functionality can adequately account for what even the simplest of everyday experiences show to be the technically problematic, but still meaningful status of expressions of spatial location in contentious cases. The terms of the debate are established and contextualised in Part One. In the Second Section, systematic experimental evidence is drawn upon to demonstrate specific covariances between spatial world and spatial language. The authors go on to give an original account of the functional and geometric constraints on which comprehension and human action among spatially related objects is based. Part Three looks at the interaction of these constraints to create a truly dynamic functional geometric framework for the meaningful use of spatial prepositions. Fascinating to anyone whose work touches on psycholinguistics, this book represents a thorough and incisive contribution to debates in the cognitive psychology of language.
- Author BiographyKenny R. Coventry is the Reader in Cognitive Science at the University of Plymouth. He co-ordinates the Spatial Language Group, and is a member of the Centre for Thinking and Language. Simon C. Garrod is a Professor in Psychology at the University of Glasgow. He holds the Chair in Cognitive Psychology and is Director of the Human Communication Research Centre project in Glasgow.
- Author(s)Kenny R. Coventry,Simon C. Garrod
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/06/2015
- SubjectPsychology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight317 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.