All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMathematical and computational approaches provide powerful tools in the study of problems in population biology and ecosystem science. Recent analytical advances, coupled with the enhanced potential of high-speed computation, have opened up new sights and presented new challenges especially in those fields of ecological theory which met methodological restrictions in the past: For many years scales and hierarchies have been considered an important research topic in ecology. Nevertheless, the prevailing methodological constraints frequently reduced the analysis to conceptual considerations. Conceptual structuring remains to be the primary practical contribution of scale and hierarchy to the development of ecological theory. In this volume we attempt to demonstrate to what extent this is currently changing. The application of models which are capable to represent precisely the relations of different scales and integration levels have made a remarkable progress and let us observe how a wide range of emergent properties can be analysed in the output of ecological models. By linking empirical findings and similar model specifications with the implementation of self-organisation processes on the level of model components, the analytical and synthetic power of modelling can be extended to a new, synergistic level. The contributions of this volume provide background, examples and current results. The volume starts with concept articles, then presents an example of artificial networks, provides papers concerning genetic aspects and ends with articles dealing with botanical features.
- Author BiographyThe Editor: Franz Hoelker received his Ph.D. in fish ecology and hydrobiology at the Institute of Hydrobiology and Fishery Science (University of Hamburg, Germany). Currently he continues his research on individual-based modelling, ecophysiology and aquatic ecosystems at the Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Berlin, Germany.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/06/2003
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleTheorie in der Okologie
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notefig.
- Weight260 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Edited byFranz Hoelker
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.