Scaling Force: Dynamic Decision Making Under Threat of Violence by Lawrence a Kane, Lawrence Kane, Rory Miller, Prof Rory Miller (Paperback / softback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.17Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $53.93+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBronze Winner 2013 eLit AwardsFinalist 2013 Next Generation Indie Books AwardFinalist 2013 Book of the Year Award by ForeWord MagazineConflict and violence cover a broad range of behaviors, from intimidation to murder, and they require an equally broad range of responses. A kind word will t resolve all situations, r will wristlocks, punches or even a gun. In Scaling Force the authors introduce you to the full range of options, from skillfully doing thing to applying deadly force. They realistically guide you through understanding the limits of each type of force, when specific levels may be appropriate, the circumstances under which you may have to apply them, and the potential cost, legally and personally, of your decision. Level 1 Presence. Staving off violence using body language alone. Level 2 Voice. Verbally de-escalating conflict before physical methods become necessary. Level 3 Touch. Defusing an impending threat or gaining compliance via touch. Level 4 Empty-Hand Restraint. Controlling a threat through pain or forcing compliance through leverage. Level 5 Less-Lethal Force. Incapacitating a threat while minimizing the likelihood of fatality or permanent injury. Level 6 Lethal Force. Stopping a threat with techniques or implements likely to cause death or grievous bodily harm. It is vital to enter this scale at the right level, and to articulate why what you did was appropriate. If you do t kw how to succeed at all six levels there are situations in which you will have appropriate options. More often than t, that will end badly.
- Author BiographyRory Miller has served for seventeen years in corrections as an officer and sergeant working maximum security, booking and mental health; leading a tactical team; and teaching subjects ranging from Defensive Tactics and Use of Force to First Aid and Crisis Communications with the Mentally Ill. Lawrence A. Kane is the author of Surviving Armed Assaults, Martial Arts Instruction, and Blinded by the Night, and co-author of The Way of Kata, The Way to Black Belt, and The Little Black Book of Violence (USA Book News--2009 Best Books Award Finalist; ForeWord Magazine--2010 Book of the Year Award Finalist). A paid book reviewer for ForeWord magazine and Clarion Reviews, he consults with other authors from time to time to help assure realism in their novels, particularly in fight scenes. Lawrence lives in Seattle, WA.
- Author(s)Lawrence Kane,Lawrence a Kane,Prof Rory Miller,Rory Miller
- PublisherYMAA Publication Center
- Date of Publication15/01/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationRolindale, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYMAA Publication Center
- Content Noteblack & white halftones
- Weight490 g
- Width163 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Trade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound,Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.