All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
About this product
- DescriptionScheming for the Poor is the first comparative analysis of redistributive policymaking in Latin America. Ascher examines the success or failure of progressive policies launched by nine governments grouped into three regime types--populist, reformist, and radical over the course of the postwar history of Argentina, Chile, and Peru.His findings challenge the conventional views that redistribution in Latin America is either doomed to failure or else is the inevitable consequence of a balance of proredistributive and antiredistributive forces. Ascher shows that tactics and careful attention to practical politics and policy implementation are far more important than regime type and professed political objectives and credos. The adept policymakers--from the Argentine authoritarian populist Juan Peron to the Chilean reformist Eduardo Frei--delivered more as redistributionists than did the ecomic romantics.Integrating the political and ecomic aspects of redistribution, Ascher shows that in political terms success stems from subtlety rather than stridency, perceptions rather than ecomic realities, the astute formation of coalitions, and aversion of the mobilization of the opposition. Ultimately, of course, ecomic pressures impose a limit on what is politically possible, and Ascher demonstrates how ecomic requirements constrain the politics of income redistribution.
- Author(s)William L. Ascher
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/1984
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note16tabs.
- Weight726 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.