All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the creation of the Antients Grand Lodge and traces the influence of Ireland and the London Irish, and most especially that of Laurence Dermott, the Antients' Grand Secretary, in the development of freemasonry in the second half of the eighteenth century. The book demonstrates the relative accessibility of the Antients and contrasts this with the exclusivity of the 'Moderns' -- the original Grand Lodge of England. The Antients instigated what became a six decades long rivalry with the Moderns and pioneered fundamental changes to the social composition of freemasonry, extending formal sociability to the lower middling and working classes and creating one of the first modern friendly societies. Schism does t stand solely as an academic work but introduces the subject to a wider Masonic and n-Masonic audience and, most particularly, supplements dated historical works. The book contributes to the history of London and the London Irish in the long eighteenth century and examines the social and trade networks of the urban lower middling and working class, subjects that remains substantially unexplored. It also offers a prism through which Britains calamitous relationship with Ireland can be examined.
- Author BiographyRichard (Ric) Berman holds an MA in Economics from the University of Cambridge and a PhD in History from the University of Exeter. He is a past Senior Visiting Researcher at the MEHRC at the University of Oxford, and a past Research Fellow at Oxford Brookes University. A sister book, Schism, was published in 2013; a second companion volume Loyalists & Malcontents is currently being completed.
- Author(s)Richard Berman
- PublisherSussex Academic Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSussex Academic Press
- Content Noteillus
- Weight540 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.95New
- AU $77.48New
- AU $36.45New
- AU $30.03New
- AU $78.48New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.96Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $36.45
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $127.08
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.