Schizophrenia and Comorbid Conditions: Diagnosis and Treatment by American Psychiatric Association Publishing (Hardback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $107.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSchizophrenia is one of the most difficult diagses to make. And, once made, it was once among the most limited, offering few options in the management of care for schizophrenia patients with comorbid conditions. It was t until 1994, with the publication of the Diagstic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), that diagstic guidelines first permitted additional diagses on Axis I, such as anxiety disorder, in the presence of schizophrenia. Yet remnants of the old hierarchical diagstic system remain, diverting attention from the pressing issue of managing what appear to be common -- and treatable -- disabling conditions, such as panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), that often occur with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia and Comorbid Conditions: Diagsis and Treatment lays diagstic oversimplification of schizophrenia to rest once and for all. All schizophrenia patients are t the same. The editors of this groundbreaking work criticize the reductionist view of schizophrenia as a single unitary disorder -- a view that has led many psychiatrists and mental health care professionals to overlook potentially important syndromes. Asserting that these patients should be managed on the basis of their individual clinical presentations, t just their categorical diagsis, recognized experts in their specialties offer a fascinating array of topics. Chapter 1 goes straight to the heart of this assertion, beginning with epidemiology and showing how hierarchical diagstic concepts keep associated psychiatric syndromes (APS) hidden from clinical and scientific attention. Also presented are the findings of the few treatment studies of APS in schizophrenia. Additional chapters feature the following topics: * Chapter 2 takes an indepth look at the extensive literature on depression in patients with schizophrenia, including a discussion on differential diagsis and treatment approaches.* Chapters 3 and 4 detail obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic symptoms, using case vignettes to illustrate the clinical management of schizophrenia with these two conditions.* Chapters 5 and 6 discuss the recognition and management of medical and surgical illness and the management of pregnancy in patients with schizophrenia, respectively.* Chapter 7 reviews cognitive impairment in older patients with schizophrenia, including etiology, assessment, and treatment approaches.* Chapter 8 presents old and new approaches to the treatment of aggressive behaviors and violence in patients with schizophrenia.* Chapter 9 extensively reviews substance abuse in schizophrenia, with suggested practical approaches to assessing and treating the dual-diagsis schizophrenia patient. Intended to help practitioners enhance their recognition of and improve treatment for the large -- and often neglected and clinically challenging -- group of schizophrenia patients with comorbid conditions, this unique collection combines a wealth of clinical and research experience of enduring value to practitioners and researchers alike.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication01/02/2001
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Press Inc.
- Content Noteindex
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byMichael Y. Hwang,Paul C. Bermanzohn
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.