All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume, which takes its title from an international conference held at the University of Cambridge in November 2006, aims to shed new light on Schnitzler's oeuvre and his period by focusing on his as yet largely unpublished literary remains, his 'hidden manuscripts'. Among the key topics covered in this collection are: the reconstruction of the adventurous rescue of the manuscripts from Vienna in 1938 and a description of their current locations; an overview of the author's life, in its historical context, on the basis of such private documents as his diaries and letters; the plethora of existing variants, both published and unpublished, and their usefulness for our understanding of Schnitzler's work, from the Anatol cycle to the 'scandalous' Reigen - in the light of the discovery of its original manuscript - and Schnitzler's planned (but never completed) work on the historical figure of Emperor Joseph II. Schnitzler's difficult relationship with one of the most influential journalists of his time, Karl Kraus, and his literary friendship with a close but hitherto neglected contemporary, Gustav Schwarzkopf; the network of intertextual references 'hidden' in the revolutionary mologue vella Lieutenant Gustl against the background of Hermann Bahr's modernist theory of literature; and finally, Schnitzler's 'hidden legacy' in our own epoch. This book contains contributions in both English and German.
- Author BiographyLorenzo Bellettini studied at the Universities of Bologna and Vienna, and received the degrees of MPhil and Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge. Peter Hutchinson is Reader in Modern German Studies at the University of Cambridge and Director of Studies in Modern Languages at Trinity Hall.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication06/10/2010
- Languageeng, ger
- Series TitleBritische und Irische Studien zur Deutschen Sprache und Literatur/British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number51
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2010
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Noteill.
- Weight330 g
- Edited byLorenzo Bellettini,Peter Hutchinson
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.