All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDoes substantial expansion of educational facilities by itself create the required demand for education? Since demand for education depends on many socio-ecomic, political, and religious factors, is the supply of free schooling alone adequate? Schooling for All demonstrates that there is still a substantial need to create demand for schooling among all levels of society, especially in those socio-ecomic groups which are yet to see the importance of education. The volume critically analyses the primary drawbacks of the Indian education system-n-enrolment, dropouts, irregular attendance, and inadequate learning. It establishes the need to strongly encourage parents to recognize the importance of education for their children's future. Arguing that supply-side strategies-free education, midday meals, opening more schools-have t proved effective since the problem of inadequate demand is much larger, the authors delineate the measures that are required to boost the demand for education in India.
- Author BiographySanthakumar Velappan Nair is Professor, Azim Premji University, Bangalore. Namita Gupta is visiting faculty, Azim Premji University, Bangalore. Rama Murthy Sripada is Program Manager, Azim Premji Foundation, Bengaluru.
- Author(s)Namita Gupta,Rama Murthy Sripada,Santhakumar Velappan Nair
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication15/09/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight458 g
- Width148 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.